Thursday, November 26, 2009

Improvising and Thanksgiving





Living in various "fully furnished" apartments the last couple of years, every now and then we wish we had a this or a that kitchen gadget. Usually, we just do with out, improvise or just MAKE what we "need".

Well we were invited our neighbors home for Thanksgiving. Chris happens to be an AWESOME professional chef. Being grateful, we volunteered to make some pies, homemade eggnog and roasted fall root vegetables.

After I volunteered, it dawned on me that I don't have my favorite pastry cloth or my marble rolling pin let alone have my dough recipes etc. Well Randall to the rescue as always! He quickly made a star shape cookie cutter out of a tin can so I could make the crust look decadent. We used "French" butter and what looked like the best flour I could find. Quality ingredients makes a huge difference! I was able to roll the dough out with lots of flour on our granite counter in the cool morning hours which worked perfect. All pies turned out fantastic!

As for the fall roasted root vegetable dish, my usual root veggies were not all found after searching several grocery stores. But, I did discovered some new root veggies that we tried. We're still not really sure if the new ones were a different version of a turnip or a parsnip but the dish was delicious!

As for the eggnog, it was almost perfect. I did have a little trouble figuring out the right name for cream and where to find the best fresh cream as opposed to the boxed cream that's not fresh or refrigerated.

Wonderful time meeting some locals along with other expats. Really it was overwhelming the amount of food Chris made! From sushi, crab stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, pumpkin soup to all the regular menu items and then some we all were indulging and overwhelming our appetites!

Plus, it was an extra special day for Randall and I celebrating 21 years of marriage!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to post your comments in the box below! Then be sure to click on "post comment".